I can’t believe summer is almost here! I can almost hear the sounds of my children fighting, and begging me to fix them something to eat. I can almost see the giant messes they will leave all over the house, and the dishes piled high in the sink.
Ahhhh, summer!! Somehow, you still manage to be my favorite. I have dreams of lazy summer days at the pool, or beach. and even though I know I will be begging for school to start come August, I still have mad love for summer and the memories we will create and the summer pictures we will take- most of which will be outside with some body of water.
Must-haves for capturing summer
*there may be affiliate links throughout this post. by using this links, your pricing stays the same, but i earn a small commission. you can see my full disclosure here
Before I get into the goods, there is one thing that will make all the difference in your pictures- learning how to use your camera. If you’re looking for affordable online courses, check out CreativeLive. They have classes on everything from Photography Basics to Learning Photoshop, and some of those courses are as low as $24. You can find a list of their photography courses here.
Okay, here are some summer must-haves for taking pictures!
- gopro hero silver– I love this little camera!! It’s tiny. It’s durable. It’s waterproof. It takes video and stills. I don’t worry about it like I do my big girl camera. It’s so much fun!!!!! There are all kinds of mounts and cool things you can do with it. It’s the perfect camera for adventure loving families.
- vtech kidizoom action cam– The kid version of the gopro. I really don’t think I need to add more description than that because seriously- how cool is that????
- brightly colored pool rings– They add some fun summer colors to your images.
- a cool pair of sunglasses- because what’s cuter than a kid in shades??
- waterproof phone pouch– If you use your phone to take pictures this summer, you will love being able to use one of these pouches. I got one last year after I decided to take my phone rafting and ruined it. I wish I would have gotten one sooner. If you would like more tips on using your phone to take pictures, check out this post I wrote- 7 tips for taking better pictures of your kids with your smartphone.
- Watermelon- It’s cool, and brightly colored and so much fun to add to summer pictures. It’s at almost every summer picnic you’ll hit this summer, so it’s super easy to add to pictures!
- a sprinkler or water squirters– Nothing’s better than some good old backyard fun!! If you’re looking for more props that fit into everyday life check this out!
- Sunscreen- You may think it’s super obvious, but we already have a couple of cases of very red shoulders in our family!! Nothing ruins the summer like a sunburn!
We spend a lot if time outside, and in the water during the summer!! Do you have something to add to the list?? Drop a comment below and let us know!
If your fancy dslr is sitting on a shelf gathering dust, and you’re looking for inspiration, go grab my free ebook- 10 photo projects for anyone with any camera!!
come hang out with me!!
You may also enjoy
stop avoiding your camera!!
subscribe and gain access to our exclusive facebook group! get tips and tricks for photographing your kids!! plus, hang out with some awesome mamas who just want to take pics of their families!