For Christmas this year, my sister got us an Amazon Alexa. Of course she snagged it on sale way early in the year, and asked if I thought we would use it before she bought it. Let me tell you, we use it every single day. We are all obsessed, but I may be the most obsessed. There are so many Alexa skills for moms. If you don’t have one yet, you’re going to want one by the end of this post. And, if you do have one, hopefully, you will find a few new skills for Alexa.
Over 20 Alexa skills for moms
*for your convenience, there may be affiliate links throughout this post, so you can easily find the things i am showing you. by using these links, your pricing stays the same, but i earn a small commission. You can see my full disclosure here
1. Read books from your Amazon library. Here are a bunch of great audible books for the family!
2. Connect smart devices, like smart plugs, or switches. We have a TP-smart link light bulb, and a smart plug.
3. Track packages you have ordered from your amazon account. If you’re not taking advantage of Amazon Prime yet, you’re missing out- Amazon Prime
4. Play sleep sounds. We do this every night.
5. Listen to TEDtalks. In case you didn’t already know, I’m obsessed with listening to TEDtalks. TedTalks to inspire you!
6. Let the kids play 20 questions. It’s super fun!
7. Ask her to play Would You Rather. At Christmastime, she actually asked if you wanted the holiday version or traditional version. We all had fun hearing whether we had chosen the more popular answer.
8. Get the Good Housekeeping skill, and figure out how to clean tough stains, or even get dinner on the table in 30 minutes.
9. Listen to the weather.
10. Use the AirHorn skill to get your family’s attention, celebrate during a game. I have to admit it’s loud, and obnoxious but it’s funny too.
11. Ask her to tell you a fun fact. This one is perfect for kids 7ish and up, or adults.
12. Have her keep a list for you. I love that the list gets added to your connected phone.
13. Set a timer. This comes in handy when you are forced to set a timer for “turn taking”.
14. Ask Alexa to tell you a knock-knock joke. The kids adore this skill!
15. Use it for conflict resolution, by asking Alexa who is right when a sibling argument arises. Of course, she isn’t ACTUALLY going to pick the right one, but sometimes, it really doesn’t matter.
17. Use her as a calculator.
18. Check your spelling, or have the kids check theirs! Our 7 year old is constantly asking us how to spell everything. Most of the time I do answer, but sometimes, I send him to Alexa. Don’t judge…
19. Listen to a Magic Door Story. We have all listened to this as a family, and had fun deciding what should happen in the story. Alexa reads you a story with all kinds of sound effects, and periodically asks you to choose between 2 scenarios in the story before continuing. Super cool!
20. Set an alarm clock to wake up in the morning.
21. Have her guide you in 7 minutes of exercise. Here is the skill we enabled for 7 minutes of exercise.
22. Ask Alexa to play your devotional. I just discovered this. It’s awesome! Here is the particular skill we enabled for devotionals.
23. Have her give you an idea for a daily random act of kindness. Here is the particular skill we enabled for RAKs.
As you can see there are so many reasons to love Alexa. She’s become a part of our family, and I don’t care that she’s actually not a “she” but a little speaker that plugs into the wall. The Jetsons had Rosie, and the Sells have Alexa.
You may also like
get free access to our resource library
enjoy instant access to all different kinds of resources and printables for embracing the perfect mess of life with kids with photo tips, easy DIYs, quick recipes, family travel, and a whole lot of mom life!