When I started my photography journey many years ago (I mean the one that really pushed me creatively, and forced me to take a deeper look into what I was doing with my camera.), I literally read everything I could get my hands on from my camera’s manual, to internet articles, and photography books for beginners!!
I had one goal, and that was to learn photography. Thankfully, there are no shortage of photography books for beginners out there in the world, I was able to fill my brain with all kinds of photography goodness.
***Wanna know what I am using to take pictures of my family? You can see everything I keep in my camera bag here!***
7 photography books for beginners
- Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson– I read this book so long ago (first edition) and I loved it so much, I read through it 4 or 5 times. I suggested it to everyone i thought might be interested.When I started researching for this post, this book came up so many times. I am clearly not the only one who loved this book. It’s easy to understand, and has lots of visual examples.
- Scott Kelby’s Digital Photography Volumes 1, 2, & 3– I read everyone of these. They are also easy reads, and written in a way that makes everything easier to understand. I started by purchasing the 1st one, and ended up buying the next 2.
- The Beginner’s Photography Guide by Chris Gatcum– This book goes into way more than just how to use your camera. It talks about composition and lighting.It was given 5 stars and while it covers more than just the “how to” part of using your camera, it also covers everything you could need to know about your camera as a beginner.
- How to Photograph Absolutely Everything: Successful Pictures from your Digital Camera by Tom Ang– this book is written by a renowned professional photographer and talks about how to use your camera in “real words.” It goes over anything you would want to photograph, and how to make it happen!
- Betterphoto basics: The Absolute Beginner’s Guide to taking Photos like a Pro– no need to read this book cover to cover, you can actually just flip through the book and grab tips here and there, and this book covers how to take better pictures with any camera!!
- Learn Manual Mode: momtographer’s crash course– My personal ebook for learning how to use your camera in manual mode. Loads of concrete examples, and of course, I’m always here to answer questions!
- BONUS– Free ebook– 10 photo projects for ANYONE with ANY camera– if you’re just looking for inspiration or a push to take pictures of your kids, grab this free ebook!!
Do you have a favorite beginner photography book that i didn’t mention?? I would love to hear what it is, leave me a comment below!
Just looking for a quick go-to guide.. Check out mom-tographer’s cheats!! print it out, stick it in your camera bag, and refer to it when you need to for inspiration, tips, and tricks!
do you follow me?? if not, come on!!! it’ll be fun!
and don’t forget to subscribe if you haven’t already to get YOUR FREE 14 page ebook– 10 photo projects for ANYONE with ANY camera!!!
You may also like
30+ pics to take of your kids every year!
By this time next year, your kids will be completely different. The only way I have found to freeze time is to take pictures. This is a great list to help you remember to photograph the things you want to remember forever!